One of the many benefits of yoga is that it takes your spine through its full range of movement. Try the poses below to experience forwards, backwards, sideways and rotational movement. Try to hold each pose for a few breaths, building up to five breaths.
- Standing forward bend (to take your spine through its forward movement). Don’t worry if you can’t get your hands flat onto the floor.
- Seated spinal twist on floor (rotating upper spine). Make sure you repeat on the opposite side.
- Cobra (for backwards movement)
- Gate (for side movement). Make sure you repeat on the opposite side.
- Lumbar roll (for rotating lower spine). Make sure you repeat on the opposite side.
- Finally, draw your knees into your chest and give them a hug to release the spine. You can rock slightly too.
And remember that yoga keeps you young – you are only as young as your spine is flexible!