Soma scan to start and finish
Notice any changes/differences in your body from the top of your head to your toes.
Arch and Flatten – both knees bent
1. Lie in the Restorative Rest Position and take a deep breath in and out.
2. Inhale and slowly roll your tailbone down onto your mat so the lower back arches away from the mat. Arch only as much as is comfortable.
3. Exhale and allow your back to melt down very slowly to the mat, release and then relax some more, completely let go. Pause before you arch again.
4. Repeat this movement and feel the difference between your back muscles working when they arch and relaxing when you flatten.
5. Repeat this exercise 10 times (this should take about 1 minute).
1. Start with your palms facing upwards, inhale and roll your shoulders inwards towards your chest. Roll your palms smoothly through a full range until the backs of your hands face your thighs (or as far as is comfortable).
2. Exhale and roll your palms back to up as you release and relax your shoulders.
3. Combine with arch and flatten and knee squeezes if you like.
4. Repeat 3 times
1. Lie on your side with knees bent and your arms in line with your chest, bottom arm resting on the floor with the other arm on top, palms together.
2. Inhale and slide the top palm back along the inner part of the arm – allow your ribs and head to roll with it (do not bend elbow)
3. Exhale and slide the top palm forward and beyond the fingers of the bottom palm. Allow the movement to come from the shoulder blade and notice if your knees want to join in (and let them).
4. Repeat 3 times.
Side lying Charleston
1. Lie on your side with the top arm resting over the side of your body with palm down (you may want to support your head with your other arm or with a cushion).
2. Inhale and reach the arm up and over the side of your head. At the same time, press your hip bone into the floor to create a small arch underneath you. Notice the top side of your waist lengthen from armpit to hip.
3. As you exhale slowly bring your arm down and at the same time, keeping your knees glued together, lift your top heel away from bottom ankle towards the ceiling and reach your hand towards it (you don’t have to touch your heel!).
4. Repeat 3 times on each side.
Lie on your back with knees bent and arms out to the side. Inhale before you begin
1. Let you right knee drop gently out towards the floor and allow the left to follow a few seconds later. Allow your head to turn to the left
2. Inhale and draw one knee and then the other back to the start position and roll your head back to the centre.
3. Repeat to the left (with head turning to the right).
4. Do a couple and with just the knee and head movement and then introduce the arm movement. Roll the arm so the palm faces the floor on the side where your knees are down, and the other palm faces up with your head turned towards this upturned palm.
5. It’s knees down, palm down, head turned towards upturned palm
6. Repeat alternating sides x3.